Mr. Ortwerth,
I am writing to you regarding the County Council's decision to approve a conditional use permit allowing a temporary fireworks stand on the land adjacent to the Fox Point Subdivision, on Upper Bottom Road near the new Page Extension Bridge. I agree with the St. Charles County Planning and Zoning Commission that this is an inappropriate site for such a business.
I am a resident of Fox Point. From my back deck, I have an unobstructed view of this land. The recent grading and removal of all foliage on this parcel has afforded me a clear view of the traffic on the recently rerouted and widened Upper Bottom Road. As you can imagine, the new view is less than desirable. The traffic noise has also increased, presumably because of the removal of the trees and the natural earth berm that had previously absorbed some of the sound.
I am concerned that, if a fireworks stand were to be constructed on this land, my new, clearer view will allow the headlights to shine directly into my kitchen, living room, and master bedroom as customers enter the parking lot at night. As an amateur astronomer, I am concerned that the parking lot lights will increase the level of light pollution, making observations of the stars and planets more difficult and less satisfying.
More to the point, I feel that such a business is inappropriate in a residential area for any number of reasons. I oppose the sale of fireworks in a county where their use is prohibited. I feel that this is an unsafe product, and that if the county agrees to the extent that their use is prohibited, then it is an hypocrisy to encourage the sale of the same product. But ignoring those issues, I am certain that positioning a large tent of explosives next to the house where I am raising my three-year-old daughter and her two older sisters is foolish at best, and I don't think it is a stretch to call it dangerous. The traffic and activity from this business will disturb my family and our neighbors well into the evening. The use of fireworks will increase in the immediate area, presenting a nuisance and a danger.
I can think of no good reason to allow this business to become established, other than the monetary gain of the land owner and the fireworks vendor. While I am not opposed to people making money, I feel that it should not be done at the expense of the safety and comfort of the residents of this community.
The public is not served by allowing this business to be established. I see that a similar issue (regarding a proposed fireworks stand near the Patriot's Landing subdivision) received your veto. I would encourage you to also veto the issue I have discussed in this letter. Please let me know if you are aware of any other action that I may take to prevent this business from ruining our neighborhood.
Joe didn't respond with an email or letter, or I would publish it here. He did leave a brief message on my answering machine. I sent another email, which he did not answer. We all saw the form letter that was circulated by the fireworks vendor, stating that "Fireworks really are safe. Don't worry. Stop writing letters."
After Joe approved the stand, I later asked him why he vetoed the Patriot Landing stand, while allowing the Fox Point stand to go ahead. Since his answer was somehow "lost", I can only assume it is because of the influence of political figures that reside in the former neighborhood, while our subdivision is devoid of such "royalty". In a recent (April 20th) St. Charles Journal article, Ortwerth is quoted as saying "I think it's just too close to nearby homeowners. This is like having a flea market across the street from you". Presumably, having a flea market across the fence isn't so bad...
Go figure.
1 comment:
Looks like the St. Charles County Zoning and Planning Commission has decided not to even bother ruling against it this year. Last year they recommended against the Fireworks Stand, but the County Council and Executive made it happen anyway. This year, they just approved it without a fight. I wish there were a way we could force them to plant some trees along the border between our neighborhood and this new "Commercial Zone"....
Post a Comment